New Alpine Library – Next Steps
New Alpine Library – Next Steps
Following Supervisor Dianne’s Jacob’s announcement of the $10.7 funding approval at the Celebration party at the Community Center, Alpine Library Friends would like to let the community know what the next steps will be as we move forward.
What’s been done so far?
A Preliminary Conceptual Design, Site plan and Plot plan has been approved by the County and Alpine community. Large pictures of these plans are available for review in the ALFA Bookstore at 2554 Alpine Blvd. It should be emphasized that these plans are tentative and the design teams will produce actual plans. Studies of traffic, parking, and updated CEQA analysis have been conducted. Meetings of stakeholders including ALFA, Alpine Community Center, Utilities, SDG&E and County officials have been held to assure good coordination.
What are the next steps?
1. The County is currently preparing documents to issue Requests for Qualification (RFQ) which asks Design Build Teams to submit information which can be reviewed to ensure that teams qualify to submit designs and bids to build the new library. (approximate timeline 3 months)
2. The County will then publish a Request for Proposal (RFQ) and usually the three best qualified teams are chosen. They then present complete Architectural Plans for the new Library (timeline 3-4 months)
3. Design Team is selected after review by Alpine Community, County planners, County Library etc. ( Around April 1st)
4. Final approval by the SD County Board of Supervisors.
5. DIG. DIG. DIG. ( approx. June 2014)
6. Completion in late 2015.
What do we do next?
Supervisor Jacob noted that the County is responsible for building the library, and the local community is responsible for the “Furnishings, Fixtures and Equipment” that goes inside. This basically means everything that isn’t attached to the walls or floor. Examples would be chairs, tables, moveable display areas, children’s area equipment, computers, automatic scanning equipment, and of course art work to beautify and enhance our library. This typically costs about $50 per square foot so our 35,000 square foot library will need about $675,000, plus additional funds for the books and other materials in the collection.
How can I help?
• You can join ALFA to become part of the building team. Check out our website at www.alpinelibraryfriends.org. Download a membership form or get one at the library or bookstore. We need lots of workers to help get the job done.
• Participate in our Challenge grant. An anonymous donor has given a $10,000 challenge grant. The donor will match any contribution over $500 up to total contributions of $10,000. Donations must be made by Labor Day (September 2nd 2013) So far we have received $3,250 (for a matching total of $6,500) in less than 2 weeks. Check out the “book stack” on the front page of The Sun.
• Donate any amount, at the Bookstore, 2554 Alpine Blvd. Alpine CA or by mail. Forms are available in the library.
• Rally your friends, organizations you belong to, or the company you work for to see if they will match or add to your donation.
• Shop at the Bookstore; all proceeds benefit the new library and current programs.
Let’s make this library the most beautiful, best designed, and well used in East County.